Friday, March 18, 2011

Natural Dye Easter Egg Tutorial BY.... FaveCrafts.com

Natural Dye Easter Egg Tutorial | FaveCrafts


Learn how to dye your Easter eggs with fruits and vegetables using this easy Easter egg tutorial from Void Where Prohibited. Using natural foliage from your backyard you can create unique transfers to imprint on the Easter eggs for spring crafts with true beauty.
Natural Easter Eggs Easter Egg flowers
Materials:
  • White eggs
  • Red onion peels
  • Yellow onion peels
  • Green Tea
  • Beets
  • White Vinegar
  • Tooth picks
  • Random leaves and flowers
  • Pantyhose
Crafter's Note: If you are willing to look like a dork this should not cost you much. I simply ignored weird looks as I took all of the fallen onion peels from the bin at the store. I happened to need one onion so I bought one for good measure. But I could have walked out with their trash with my head high. I had to buy a beet and two dozen eggs – that’s it. The flowers and leaves were all stuff I collected on the walk home. Everything else I already had.

Steps:
  1. I chopped up the ingredients as best I could (the beets went into the blender) and started cooking them ahead of time. In each pot I put about three spoons of vinegar to help the color stick to the eggs better.
  2. I hollowed out the eggs (tedious) and cut the pantyhose into sections a few inches long. I tied off one side and placed the egg and some of the leaves and flowers inside (with flowers or leaves pressed up to the egg), pulled the pantyhose really tight and tied off the other side to make little packets.
  3. Once I had all the eggs prepared and the ingredients had been cooking for a while, I did my best to fill all of the eggs with water so they would not float so much when I put them in the pots, for better coverage. As the water filling process took much longer than I guessed it would some of the eggs were in the pots for much longer than the others. That is OK, now I have some very dark eggs and some very light eggs.
  4. When everything was done cooking I flipped over the egg carton and put toothpicks in the bottom to make a handy little drying rack.

Finished Products:
Yellow Onion
Yellow Onion Eggs

    No comments:

    Post a Comment